This lesson is part of the series on Pronouncing Verb Contractions in English:
- Part 1: Intro to Verb Contractions and their Pronunciations
- Part 2: Would + have = “would’ve”
- Part 3: Would + not + have = “wouldn’t have”
- Part 4: Could + have = “could’ve”
- Part 5: May + have = [meyəv]
- Part 6: Must + have = “must’ve”
- Part 7: Must + not = “mustn’t” | COMING SOON
- Part 8: I + will = “I’ll” [aiyəl] | COMING SOON
- Part 9: He/She/We + will | COMING SOON
- Part 10: It + will = “it’ll” [ɪdəl] | COMING SOON
- Part 11: They + will = “they’ll” | COMING SOON
Listen to the audio while reading the lesson:
Or watch the video!:
The music of English comes from the way native English speakers:
- stress their content words (meaning, they say them longer, louder, and higher in pitch); as well as
- de-stress their function words (meaning they say them quicker and more relaxed).
Function words in English are those that form the grammar and structure of a sentence and do not carry much content. These include auxiliary verbs, which accompany a main verb and add some grammatical meaning to the sentence. Examples of auxiliary verbs are:
For pronunciation practice, this series will focus on contracting “have” and “will” after:
- subjects (I, he, she, it, we, they); and
- auxiliary verbs (would, could, may, must)
To speak more efficiently, native English speakers shorten words so much that they delete certain sounds. Specifically, we often delete the [h] in function words, such as “has”, “have”, “him”, etc. (See the lesson on “h”-deletion for more explanation). This allows us to connect speech more fluidly to a vowel instead of a consonant.
Instead of saying:
- “I gave him a chance” [GeYV hɪm]
native English speakers often times delete the [h] in “him” –> [ɪm] or [əm]. They would then simply say:
- “I have
him a chance” [GeYV vɪm]
Did you hear that I deleted the [h] in “him”? This allowed me to speak with more flow and more speed.
- “I have
him a chance” [GeYV vɪm]
This same deletion occurs when we contract the verbs “have” and “will”. To contract these verbs, simply:
- delete the first consonant sounds; and
- connect them to the verbs before them.
“Have” –> [əv]
“Will” –> [ɫ]
[ɫ][ɫ] can be a difficult sound to produce. To produce it:
- the tip of the tongue should touch the top of your mouth behind the teeth (the alveolar ridge)
- and let the air simply flow over your tongue.
Let’s Practice. Notice that the contracted “have” and “will” are said very short and relaxed, while the verb before it is a bit longer.
Listen and Repeat
- Would + have = “would’ve” [Wʊ dəv]
- Could + have = “could’ve” [Kʊ dəv]
- May + have = “may’ve” [MeY yəv]
- Must + have = “must’ve” [MʌS təv]
- I + will = “I’ll” [AIY əl] (note the [y] consonant sound in [aiy], and pull your lips back to produce the vowel sound)
- He + will = “he’ll” [hiyəl]
- She + will = “she’ll” [ʃiyəl]
- We + will = “we’ll” [wiyəl]
- It + will = “it’ll” [ɪ dəl] (Note: British English speakers may use an aspirated [t] and say [ɪ təl]
- They + will = “they’ll” [ðey yəl]
Feel free to check out the specific lessons on how to position your mouth to pronounce each of these verb contractions, vowel sounds and their negatives and of course just for more practice.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elemental English podcast on iTunes.
And if this lesson was helpful to you, feel free to share it with friends and family on Facebook and Twitter.
ElementalEnglish.com is your resource for free English language and pronunciation lessons, 無料オンライン英語教材, 免费在线英文课程, 免費在線英文課程, मुफ़्त ऑनलाइन अंग्रेज़ी, آنلائن مفت میں انگریزی سیکھئے, Kostenloser Englisch-Unterricht Online, 무료 온라인 수업 잉글, Język angielski online, Học tiếng anh miễn phí, Libreng Pag-aaral ng Wikang Ingles sa Internet, Libreng Pag-aaral ng Wikang Ingles Online, دروس في اللغة الانجليزية على الانترنت مجانا, درس انگلیسی رایگان در اینترنت, American English pronunciation, アメリカ英語の発音, 纯正美语发音, 純正美語發音, अमरीकी अंग्रेज़ी, امریکی انگریزی کا تلفّظ سیکھئے, Amerikanisches Englisch Aussprache, wymowa język angielski, Học tiếng anh miễn phí, Wastong Pagbigkas ng American English sa Internet, astong Pagbigkas ng, تعلم اللهجة الامريكية على الانترنت, American English Online, كلمات انجليزية أمريكية Leçons de Prononciation Anglaise, درس تلفظ انگلیسی
영어 발음 수업 – 온라인 영어 수업
Featured Vista Style Transport Icon Set by Icons-Land, courtesy of Smashing Magazine.