TIP: Use this for pronunciation practice, too!
This lesson is part of the series on Verbs in English:
- Simple Past Verb Tense (Grammar + Pronunciation)
- Present Perfect Verb Tense (Grammar + Pronunciation)
- Present Perfect Continuous Verb Tense (Grammar + Pronunciation)
- Past Perfect Verb Tense (Grammar + Pronunciation)
- Future Verb Tense: “will”, “going to”, “gonna” (Grammar + Pronunciation)
Listen to the audio:
…or watch the video!
In English, we generally speak in three different times, or tenses.
Three Verb Tenses
- the present (right now, the present moment, etc.)
- the past (yesterday, last week, before, earlier, etc.); or
- the future (tomorrow, next year, next week, etc).
The Future Tenses
There are two verbs that help us talk about the future:
- “going to” (or “gonna”)
Will and going to mean that an action or event occurs at a later time than the speech, whether that’s in five minutes or five years.
“Going to” and “will” may vary in formality.
“going to” –> “gonna”
which is more informal and casual than “going to” and “will”.
If a speaker says at 2:00pm:
- “I will leave soon”
that speaker will absolutely leave soon after 2:00pm, perhaps 2:05pm or 2:15pm.
The same result occurs if the speaker says at 2:00pm:
- “I’m going to leave soon.”
He will also leave at 2:05pm or 2:15pm, soon after the time he spoke the words. But the speech sounds a bit more informal.
And the same result occurs with the most informal:
- “I’m gonna leave soon.”
Let’s practice talking about the future with “will”, “going to” and “gonna”. In these examples, I’ll contract the verb “will” as I would when I speak in everyday life.
Listen and Repeat
- “We‘ll see you at the restaurant by 8 o’clock.”
- “You‘ll be second in command.”
- “They are going to regret that.”
- “She is going to be the prettiest girl at the party.”
- “I’m gonna do to it later.”
- “He’s gonna try his hardest to win.”
You can practice the pronunciation of the contracted verb “will” here.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elemental English podcast on iTunes.
And if this lesson was helpful to you, feel free to share it with friends and family on Facebook and Twitter.
ElementalEnglish.com is your resource for free English language and pronunciation lessons, 無料オンライン英語教材, 免费在线英文课程, 免費在線英文課程, मुफ़्त ऑनलाइन अंग्रेज़ी, آنلائن مفت میں انگریزی سیکھئے, Kostenloser Englisch-Unterricht Online, Język angielski online, Học tiếng anh miễn phí, Libreng Pag-aaral ng Wikang Ingles sa Internet, Libreng Pag-aaral ng Wikang Ingles Online, دروس في اللغة الانجليزية على الانترنت مجانا, Lecciones gratuitas de Ingles Americano, cursuri online gratis de limba engleza, เรียนภาษาอังกฤษออนไลน์ ฟรี, American English pronunciation, アメリカ英語の発音, 纯正美语发音, 純正美語發音, अमरीकी अंग्रेज़ी, امریکی انگریزی کا تلفّظ سیکھئے, Amerikanisches Englisch Aussprache, wymowa język angielski, Học tiếng anh miễn phí, Wastong Pagbigkas ng American English sa Internet, astong Pagbigkas ng, تعلم اللهجة الامريكية على الانترنت, American English Online, Pronunciacion de Ingles Americano en linea, pronuntie engleza americana online, บทเรียน การออกเสียงภาษาอังกฤษ สำหรับคนไทย